Graduate Studies in Yoga Therapy
Face to Face Intensive Block:
Wednesday, May 9th to Wednesday May 16th, 2018
Live Online Webinars:
This Module will include a focus on the following:
- Understanding the major systems of the body and the relationship between these systems, including the musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory, nervous, endocrine, digestive, and reproductive systems
- Exploring optimal health and wellbeing in the systems of the body, and how Yoga Therapy can assist in enhancing the health of these systems
- In depth knowledge of yoga practices and the appropriate application to personalize healing. Practices covered include breath-centered asana, breathing techniques (pranayama), use of sound (chanting), visualization, mental imagery and more
- Ayurveda and understanding Individual Constitution: Theory, application, and usefulness in Yoga therapy
- Understanding of internal health related disorders relevant to a Yoga Therapist –to include asthma, digestive disorders, heart disease, chronic pain, fatigue syndromes, thyroid conditions, neurological conditions, Parkinson’s, stroke, menstrual disorders and cancer
- Management of common health concerns related to aging and the elderly
- Appropriate application of Yoga techniques and tools that realistically support individualised health goals and facilitate optimal living
- Knowledge about common western medical terminology, approach to treatment, including familiarity with commonly used drugs and surgical procedures
- Relevant research and the efficacy of Yoga interventions as a complimentary healing modality
Lisa Grauaug has been practicing and teaching yoga since the mid-90s. Lisa values individuality and working with students and clients to facilitate a better understanding of their unique and changing needs. Her understanding and personal practice has since been strongly influenced by the teachings as translated by Sri T Krishnamacharya. Read more.
Margery Hellman is a Yoga Teacher and Therapist, Occupational Therapist and Feldenkrais Practitioner with over 25 years experience in health care . Margery has experience in a range of specialities including Neurological Rehabiliation , Paediatrics, Injury Management, Pain Management and Workplace Health and Safety. Read more.
Dr. Shaun Matthews is a general practitioner, Ayurveda and Yoga therapist based in Sydney. He studied Ayurvedic medicine at Gujarat Ayurveda University and is a Fellow of the College of Indian Medicine (Pune). He also studied Yoga teacher training at the Bihar School of Yoga in India. Read more.
This is a competency-based unit, so students will be assessed to demonstrate competency. In the circumstance where competency is not demonstrated on first submission, re-submission will be possible.
Assessment of this module includes:
- Full attendance at all face to face classes *
- Full attendance at all live webinars *
- Undertaking pre and post lecture study tasks as directed
- Successful completion and submission of reflective journal questions following all classes and webinars
- Successful completion of two Case Studies relevant to this Module
- One other written assessment task related to the Module content
* Where any face to face or live webinar sessions are missed (under exceptional circumstances only) the student will be required to complete adequate ‘make up’ tasks as set by the teacher for that class, including but not limited to viewing of any recordings of the class session (where available), and answering reflective questions set by the teacher. An additional cost will be incurred by the student for these sessions.
Training Components & Prerequisites
This Module is part of the Yoga Therapy Training Course and involves 100+ hours of training, including:
- 70 hours of classes (face to face and online)
- access to the online learning portal
- 2 hours of individual Mentoring with your Program Mentor
- resources to facilitate 30+ hours of self-directed learning
- reading material and other learning tools
- assessment of your written work
- partial completion of the registered Yoga Therapy Training Course
The requirements in order to register for this unit are:
- completion of the Yoga Therapy Foundations module
- requirements as specified in the Yoga Therapy Training Course Requirements
To find out more about this module please contact Lisa Grauaug at email@example.com or on (02) 9929 2774.