TBC, 2020: Therapeutic & Professional Practice Skills
Graduate Studies in Yoga Therapy
November 2020 Dates to be confirmed. Registrations will open for this module as soon as dates are finalised.
Therapeutic Skills I
Fundamentals of Interpersonal & Communications Skills for Yoga Therapists:
- 2-day face-to-face training
- 1 day face-to-face follow up
- 2 x 3 hour followup Online webinar
- Plus guided self-paced learning/reading
Professional Practice & Therapeutic Skills II
2020 Dates TBC
- 3 x full-days face-to-face
- 3 x 3 hour Online webinars
- Plus self-directed home study & readings
This Module will develop the tools essential to practice as a Yoga Therapist, including:
- Review, Refine and integrate skills to conduct holistic, integrative client assessments for Yoga Therapy
- Further development of therapeutic counselling skills relevant to the Yoga Therapist
- Consideration to therapeutic rapport and therapeutic relationships
- Crisis management skills for Yoga Therapy
- Refine and review practice planning skills based on client needs.
- Strategies to enhance self motivation and personal efficacy for clients of Yoga Therapy
- Consideration of Yoga Therapy groups versus individual Yoga Therapy
- Therapeutic group skills relevant to providing Yoga Therapy groups
- Applying the ethical guidelines at the heart of Yoga to the profession of Yoga Therapy
- An exploration of various professional practice issues relevant to Yoga Therapy
- A sound understanding of ethical practice in the profession of Yoga Therapy
- A thorough understanding of the Scope of Practice for Yoga Therapists, and the relevant industry standards
- Consideration of important factors in providing Yoga Therapy to diverse client populations
- Strategies for communicating with other health professionals to enhance client care
- Exploring differing learning styles amongst clients of Yoga Therapy, and how to tailor interventions to the clients learning style
- Motivational strategies to assist clients to prioritise their Yoga Therapy program
Please Note: This 100hr module is part of our full Yoga Therapy Training Course. It is open to yoga teachers who have completed Foundations of Yoga Therapy (or equivalent) or have graduated from The Yoga Institute’s Yoga Teacher Training program. It is not available as a standalone unit.
Who are the teachers?
This module will be taught by Michael de Manincor, Janet Lowndes and Lucy Karnani.
Michael is one of the most highly respected yoga teachers in Australia, with over 30 years teaching experience. He has undertaken extensive studies with renowned teacher TKV Desikachar, in the authentic tradition of T Krishnamacharya. Read more.
Janet Lowndes is a therapist with over 25 years experience providing counselling, training, and consultation. Her professional practice includes psychological counselling, meditation training, and yoga therapy. Read more.
Lucy brings over 25 years of experience training and consulting in the field of person-to-person communication and has studied extensively in both Australia and the USA. Lucy passionately believes that by practising Yoga, in whatever form is available to an individual, healing will occur. Read more.
This is a competency-based unit, so students will be assessed to demonstrate competency. In the circumstance where competency is not demonstrated on first submission, re-submission will be possible.
Assessment of this module includes:
- Full attendance at all face to face classes *
- Full attendance at all live webinars *
- Undertaking pre and post lecture study tasks as directed
- Successful completion and submission of reflective journal questions following all classes and webinars
- One other written assessment task related to the Module content
* Where any face to face or live webinar sessions are missed (under exceptional circumstances only) the student will be required to complete adequate ‘make up’ tasks as set by the teacher for that class, including but not limited to viewing of any recordings of the class session (where available), and answering reflective questions set by the teacher. An additional cost will be incurred by the student for these sessions.
Training Components & Prerequisites
This Module is part of the Yoga Therapy Training Course and involves 100+ hours of training, including:
- 70 hours of classes (face to face and online)
- access to the online learning portal
- 2 hours of individual Mentoring with your Program Mentor
- resources to facilitate 30+ hours of self-directed learning
- reading material and other learning tools
- assessment of your written work
- partial completion of the registered Yoga Therapy Training Course
The requirements in order to register for this unit are:
- completion of the Yoga Therapy Foundations module
- requirements as specified in the Yoga Therapy Training Course Requirements
To find out more about this module please contact Lisa Grauaug at email@example.com or on (02) 9929 2774.