Graduate Yoga Therapy Training Course
Registered with Yoga Australia (650 hrs)
Yoga Therapy Training opens up exciting new career possibilities for yoga teachers, providing services in the complimentary and allied health sectors.
What is Yoga Therapy?
Yoga Therapy is “a process of empowering individuals with injuries, illness or health concerns to progress toward improved health and well-being through the therapeutic or healing applications of the teachings and practices Yoga” [revised from a definition of the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT)].
Yoga therapists assist people with injuries, illnesses and health concerns, by developing and teaching a suitable individually-tailored therapeutic yoga practice. This is generally done in one-to-one consultations, and can also be offered in group yoga therapy programmes.
Offering individually-tailored therapeutic practices can bring about powerful healing benefits and positive change in people’s lives, which are both personally and professionally rewarding for you as a yoga therapist. Yoga therapists work closely with the student or client to support and facilitate their healing and transformation that may not be possible in a general yoga class settings.
Faculty & Source of Teachings
This training course draws on the foundation teachings from world renowned yoga master T Krishnamacharya and his son TKV Desikachar.
Faculty of The Yoga Institute have completed yoga and yoga therapy studies directly with TKV Desikachar, the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram (KYM, India), AG & Indra Mohan and Ganesh Mohan of Svastha Yoga.
Graduate Yoga Therapy Training:
- Completion of all modules and course components provides a 650 hour post-graduate training course, conducted over 2 years
- Fully accredited with Yoga Australia (YA) and the Australasian Association of Yoga Therapists (AAYT)
- Provides eligibility to become a fully registered Yoga Therapist
- Complying with the highest international training standards of the international Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT)
- Delivered by the highly experienced faculty of The Yoga Institute
- Face-to-face classroom training
- Online learning
- Live webinars & online discussions
- Self-paced home study
- Practicum/clinical experience
- Mentoring sessions
(650 total training hours)
Core Curriculum Modules:
Venue: The Yoga Institute, Cammeray (Sydney)
Foundations of Yoga Therapy (100 hours): September, 2017
- 8-day face-to-face immersion training (56 hours): Saturday, September 2nd to Saturday, September 9th, 2017.
- Online Webinars (14 hours):
- Plus guided self-paced learning (30 hours)
Interpersonal Communication and Professional Therapeutic Practice (100 hours):
Part 1: Therapeutic Skills I
- 2-day face-to-face training immersion: Saturday May 20th & Sunday May 21st, 2017.
- Follow-up 1 day face-to-face session: Thursday 19th October, 2017 (directly following the Yoga Anatomy and Musculoskeletal Module)
- 2 X 2 hour Online webinar : Dates: Saturday June 17th, 2017 & TBC )
Part 2: Professional Practice & Therapeutic Skills II
- Additional 3-day face-to-face training: 2018 dates TBC
- Online Webinars : 2018 dates TBC
- Plus online and self-paced learning
Yoga Psychology and Mental Health (100 hours): July-August, 2017
- 8-day face-to-face training immersion: Wednesday, July 19th to Wednesday, July 26th, 2017.
- Online Webinars: Dates TBC
- Plus guided self-paced learning
Yoga Anatomy and the Musculo-skeletal System (100 hours): October-November, 2017
- 8-day face-to-face training immersion: Wednesday, Oct 11th to Wednesday October 18th, 2017.
- Online Webinars: Dates TBC
- Plus guided self-paced learning
Yoga Physiology and the Vital Systems of Health (100 hours):
- 2018 dates to be confirmed
Practicum – clinical/therapeutic practice (150 hours):
- Completed throughout the course
Training Course Faculty
Michael de Manincor (Course Director) BA(hons), M Psych, PhD candidate, Psychologist, Yoga Teacher/Therapist
Lisa Grauaug BAppSc (Nursing), BPsych, M Psych, Cert Ayurveda, Psychologist, Yoga Teacher/Therapist
Janet Lowndes Registered Psychologist, Registered Yoga Teacher, Registered Yoga Therapist, Yoga Australia Member
Eleni Tsikrikas BA. LLB, Clinical Ayurveda and Panca Karma Specialist, Herbalist, Yoga Teacher
Kaye Tribe AssocDipAppSc (Myotherapy), Grad Cert Yoga Therapy, Yoga Teacher/Therapist
Lucy Karnani BAppSc (Phys Ed), Yoga Teacher, Communications Consultant
Pre-requisites & Prior Learning
Course and Module Pre-requisites
- To meet training standards and graduate Yoga Therapist registration requirements, applicants are generally to be qualified yoga teachers, with minimum training equivalent to Level 1 membership of Yoga Australia (350 hours), plus 300 hours or 2 years of yoga teaching experience. Special consideration may be given to qualified practitioners of other related therapeutic modalities.
- All participants are required to complete the Foundations of Yoga Therapy module prior to subsequent modules.
- Subsequent modules (including Yoga Psychology, Yoga Anatomy, and Yoga Physiology) may be done in any order, after meeting or completion of the above requirements.
- Final Practicum components is generally done as the final module of the training course, after completion of all prior modules.
- Interpersonal Communications & Professional Therapeutic Practice module is done in 2 parts interspersed throughout the course.
Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
- Up to 150 hours (of the total 650 hours) of prior training or experience may be included or transferred to this training course, as Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
- RPL will be assessed directly with the required learning competencies for each module.
- RPL application and administration fees may apply.
- RPL is granted at the discretion of the Course Director.
What do students say about studying with us?
“I feel extremely humble to have had you as my teacher. I am grateful to have found you! Your dedication and devotion to the teachings of Yoga is very inspiring thank you.”
“I always knew there was more to yoga. This has been a year of beginning to explore the depth of this ancient darsana. Thank you for holding the space, unravelling the wisdom, inspiring transformation. I have always wanted to belong to what my heart/being resonates with and I now feel I have found my home.”
“Your depth of knowledge together with your innate and acquired wisdom has deeply inspired me to continue down this path and has reinforced my desire to share these teachings with others. It has been and continues to be a privilege to learn from you. Thank you.”
“A heartfelt thank you. Michael, you are wise, kind, knowledgeable, mischievous and above all an inspiration! Thank you for all you have taught me.”
“Apart from the experience of the yoga course, it is great to experience the yoga community including other students and the TYI teachers. I hope those special connections will be maintained long into the future.”
Info Session Webinar
To learn more about the course, meet the team and get your questions answered, join our next information session:
Date: Wednesday 9th August, 2017
Time: 7.30pm to 8.15pm
To access more detailed information about this course use the ‘Get Prospectus’ button above and if you have questions please contact Kirstie Christensen at email@example.com or on (02) 9929 2774.
For students based in Melbourne, we’re excited to be partnering with The Australian Institute of Yoga Therapy.
Ready to Apply?
Access the course application form here:
Course fees, minus a $250 non-refundable cancelation fee, will be refunded if you withdraw from the course up to two months prior to the course commencement. A refund of course fees less $500.00 will be considered up to 4 weeks prior to the commencement of this Module. If you cancel less than 4 weeks prior to Module commencement no refund is available. However, if we have a waitlist and your place can be filled we will refund your full course fee minus a $500.00 cancelation fee. In circumstances such as illness or personal difficulty,payment may be transferred to participation in the Module at a later date or towards another yoga therapy module, if this option remains available.