Graduate Studies in Yoga Therapy
Face to Face Intensive Block:
Saturday, September 2nd to Saturday, September 9th, 2017
Live Online Webinars:
Why the Yoga Therapy Foundations course?
With the prevalence of so many different yoga ‘styles’ and students ‘class pass hopping’, many yoga teachers are left wondering how to have real impact in the lives of their students and empower them to create change.
Do you ever wonder why some of your students seem to make little progress in their practice?
Are you a teacher who is looking to deepen your yoga knowledge and bring about more powerful positive transformations in your students?
Have you ever felt frustrated that you can’t do more to help students bring about lasting positive change?
Are you just curious about the field of yoga therapy or designing personalised yoga practices?
Learning the skills to develop practices that address the individual needs of your students will transform your own effectiveness as a yoga teacher and give you the tools to begin facilitating lasting change in the lives of your students.
The potential rewards for yourself and your students are profound.
In this Module you will be provided with the foundational principles for your training in Yoga Therapy, content will include the following:
- Yoga cikitsa – Yoga as a therapeutic intervention approach
- The Yogic framework of health and illness
- The context of Yoga therapy in traditional texts and teachings of Yoga, including the Vedas and Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, the Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, the Hatha Yoga Pradipika, and the Yoga Rahasya.
- The emergence of modern Yoga therapy, and its place in the field of complementary therapies.
- Exploration and application of the panca maya model (or five koshas) as a framework for Yoga therapy
- Exploration and application of yoga energetics and the five prana vayus, in the context of Yoga therapy.
- Exploration and application of the principle of viniyoga – teaching yoga according to the needs, abilities, and goals of each individual or group.
- Healing foundations and development of therapeutic applications of the tools and techniques of yoga practice, including asana, pranayama, meditation, relaxation, yoga nidra, visualisations, sound, mudra, mantra and more.
- The use of energizing and calming practices in Yoga therapy (mental intention in the practice).
- The importance of lifestyle and its application
- Foundations of Ayurveda in the context of Yoga therapy
- Designing yoga practices for the therapeutic applications of individual needs
- Development of skills for teaching one-to-one, and the how-to of developing personalised practices for individual needs.
This Module may be taken as a stand-alone professional development training, or it can be taken as part of the complete Yoga Therapy Training Course qualification. This Yoga Therapy Foundations module is a pre-requisite for all the other Modules in the full program.
Who are the teachers?
This module will be taught by Michael de Manincor and Lisa Grauaug.
Michael is one of the most highly respected yoga teachers in Australia, with over 30 years teaching experience. He has undertaken extensive studies with renowned teacher TKV Desikachar, in the authentic tradition of T Krishnamacharya. Read more.
Lisa has been practicing and teaching yoga since the mid-90s. Lisa values individuality and working with students to facilitate a better understanding of their unique and changing needs. Her understanding and personal practice has since been strongly influenced by the teachings as translated by Sri T Krishnamacharya. Read more.
Prior Learning & Course Recognition
Graduates of The Yoga Institute’s diploma level teacher training course, will receive Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) credit for parts of this module. Graduates of other teacher training courses that cover one-to-one yoga teaching may also apply for RPL.
This Module can be taken as a stand alone professional development program, or it can be taken as part of the complete Yoga Therapy Training Course qualification. Yoga Teachers who attend this module as a standalone unit receive Yoga Australia CPD points equivalent to 100hrs.
This module is a pre-requisite for all other modules in the full training course.
This is a competency-based unit, so students will be assessed to demonstrate competency. In the circumstance where competency is not demonstrated on first submission, re-submission will be possible.
Assessment of this module includes:
- Full attendance at all face to face classes *
- Full attendance at all live webinars *
- Undertaking pre and post lecture study tasks as directed
- Successful completion and submission of workbooks following webinars ?
- Successful completion of practicum tasks relevant to each Module
- One other written assessment task related to the Module content
* If any face to face or live webinar sessions are missed (under exceptional circumstances only) the student will be required to complete adequate ‘make up’ tasks as set by the teacher for that class, including but not limited to viewing of any recordings of the class session (where available), and answering reflective questions set by the teacher. An additional cost will be incurred by the student for these sessions.
Registration & Payment
The fee for this Module is $1950, which involves 100+ hours of training, including:
- 70 hours of classes (face to face and online)
- access to the online learning portal
- 2 hours of individual Mentoring with your Program Mentor
- resources to facilitate 30+ hours of self-directed learning
- reading material and other learning tools
- assessment of your written work
- partial completion of the registered Yoga Therapy Training Course
The requirements to register for this unit are:
- requirements as specified in the Yoga Therapy Training Course Requirements
Full Fee Payment:
$1950 paid in full on registration for the module
Available to students who enrol more than 2 months in advance of the module commencement.
Registration deposit = $750
+ 2 Direct Debit instalment payments of $625 each
- A signed authorisation is required for this Direct Debit payment option
- Deposit payment and completion of authorisation secures your place
- First instalment is due 1 month after deposit date
- Second instalment is due 2 months after deposit date
- All payments to be completed prior to commencement of the module
Info Session Webinar
To learn more about the course, meet the team and get your questions answered, join our next information session:
Date: Wednesday 9th August, 2017
Time: 7.30pm to 8.15pm
Ready to Enrol?
This module can be taken as a standalone unit for registered yoga teachers. If you are taking this module as part of the full Yoga Therapy Training Course you need to complete the course application and have it approved prior to booking into this module. No payment is required until your application has been accepted.
An information webinar will be schedule soon, date and time to be confirmed. In the meantime to find out more contact Kirstie Christensen at email@example.com or on (02) 9929 2774.